Monday, October 6, 2014

How to make a Girl Guide/Girl Scout Blanket

Today I bring you a fun and easy craft that is no-sew and can be completed in less than an hour! Yup, hardly no time at all...one of my favorite projects!

Supplies:

  • Washable glue...Aleen's Wash It or Textile Glue, mine is from HEMA it says on the package it is washable up to 60 Celsius.
  • Blanket...I got a nice fleece blanket from Target
  • Patches or outgrown vests/sashes
Procedure
  1. Wash the blanket. Get the ickies out and make it smell like home.
  2. Gather patches, vests, sashes...pretty much anything you want to put on the blanket.
  3. For vests and sashes here is how I got mine to lay flat:
    1. Take vest or sash by the shoulder.
    2. Flip over.
    3. Snip the corner.
    4. Pull up.
    5. Snip across at the seem.
    6. Now you have a hole.
    7. Spread it apart and clip at the corners.
    8. Lay flat and check patches on the vest to make sure they are well attached.
  4. Now, lay the blanket out flat on a clean floor or table...you may want to put down an old towel or drop cloth in the even your glue seeps through a bit...I did not have this problem, but it could be a precaution you want to take.
  5. Lay out patches to make sure you have your desired design.
  6. Begin gluing items down.
    For the patches I just put a dab of glue on the back of each patch and laid it down, for the vests I lined the edges of each vest and they hold up really well!
  7. Let dry.
  8. Use! 



My kiddo loves taking her blanket to camp. She only ever used it at one Girl Guide event. We live in Europe now and could not find any Girl Guide groups in our area so it is a great memory item now. She loves taking it to camps as it is warm and it is a great conversation piece so her friends can get to know a little more information about her life in North America.

Do you have a girl scout or a girl guide? How do you keep their patches corralled? 

4 comments:

  1. That is a very sweat idea :-)
    Greetings, Ronja Lotte
    (www.nur-noch.blogspot.de)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I have blankets for my Boy Scout and Cub Scout, but never thought about doing a blanket for my Girl Scout! Love it!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier this week. I'll be posting the recipe for the pumpkin sausage soup next week, so be sure to stop back by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jenn! I know, it hadn't occurred to me until we moved to Canada where they don't do vests or sashes like in the US so I had to figure out a solution! Plus now she can admire all her hard work ;) hehe

      PS I cannot wait for that recipe! :)

      Delete